Wednesday, January 23, 2008

With my main PCs both down while I create a duplicate of my main hard drive in the hope that I can ensure myself against its destruction, I'm working on lisa's laptop.

I've quite got the hang of this now - putting all my files on external hard drives and memory sticks, and nipping effortlessly from one computer to another whenever it suits me.

it's a kind of nomadic exsistence, allowing me to set up and work on virtually any machine anywere. I'm certain that some day all computing will be like this, but right now, it's a little forced.

Not every computer is running the same software, so I'm constantly halted in whatever I try to do by the fact that the tool I need is on another machine. Having more than one computer right now means that you're constantly nipping from one to the other because there's not one machine that has everything you need.

I do look forward to the day when I can just carry around a simple remote control (or even just a pin number) and log into any computer, TV, phone, ipod or fridge anywhere in the world and instantly use it as though it's my home machine... however, that day is not today, and I'm going to have to wait for my computer to start working again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.